Saturday, February 26, 2011

Electroforming continued

Hello Everyone!

I have an update on my electroforming project. After about a week of cleaning the copper daily, my pieces have finally been sufficiently plated. Here are some photos of the results. I'm really pleased as to how they turned out and I think will make a beautiful finished project. The bumpy growth is due to rapid build up of the copper. This can be caused by having the voltage too high or the piece being placed too close to one of the dangling copper plates. But as they were natural forms and were already sort of lumpy, the bumps don't bother me at all!

My group of five objects

The smallest of the wreathes.

And the largest.

A detail of the leaves of the largest wreath. You can see the bumpy texture the object got.

Another wreath.

In this picture you can see where I cut off the copper wire that was attached to the piece. The dark spot is glue. You can see around the lgue the thikness of the copper build up. The pieces are still pretty delicate. 

The next step for these pieces is a trip to the burn out kiln. The pieces still have the orginal twigs inside the copper plate. These will be placed in a hot kiln and the material removed by burning it out. Then the pieces will be hollow.

Until next time,
Brigitta

No comments:

Post a Comment